Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Lin's Restaurant Style Salsa



Every year I go home for the summer I look forward to my brother-in-law's fresh salsa. This year I was surprised to see my sister Lindsy made one just as good but with canned tomatoes. I didn't think it would be as good but I was pleasantly surprised. What I liked most about it was the canned tomatoes made it taste more like restaurant style salsa that I grew up on. I also liked that I could use canned tomatoes and then I don't have to worry about the tomatoes being in season or too mealy.

It is ridiculously easy to make and quite affordable. Since I've been back from vacation I've made it 3 times and can't seem to keep in my fridge for longer than a week. Try it and let me know what you think. 

Ingredients
1 (16oz) can of Hunts diced tomatoes
1 jalapeno seeded
1 lime
1 handful cilantro
1/2 red onion
1 clove garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

In a food processor add can of diced tomatoes. Then add jalapeno cut into about 4 pieces, squeeze lime, add cilantro, add 1/2 onion depending on how big it is cut up into four big pieces, add garlic, and salt. Pulse until you get the consistency you like. Taste and add more of what you like. 

My sister does not add garlic to hers but I just add one clove because I love the taste. You can choose to leave it out. I seed my jalapeno because it can get super spicy. Sometimes however I only add half of a jalapeno and leave seeds in. Red onion and garlic also add spice to this so you have to be careful that it can get too spicy. Add more lime juice to help bring the kick down a bit. 

Try it and let me know what you think. 


1 comment:

  1. Italian + Mexican. Looks like a delicious salsa, perfect for Friday evening with some good chips!

    ReplyDelete