Thursday, December 19, 2013

Mounds Bars



I started a breakfast group for mothers in my neighborhood about 7 years ago. Each year we have a holiday dinner in December. This year and last year instead of a secret Santa we brought a gift for each friend that is under $5. It can be something you love and want to introduce to us or something you made that you think we would all enjoy. I wanted to make truffles, cookies or some sort of candy. I found these homemade mounds bars in a magazine and decided to make them for my friends. I was worried they wouldn't be good so I did have a back up plan but I figured how could they be bad...its coconut and chocolate so how bad could it be? 

Well they turned out great and my friends were very happy with them. I am dying to make them again. I'm pretty sure I got this out of the foodnetwork magazine. I rip out pages that interest me so I never know if I got it out of foodnetwork, Everyday with Rachel Ray or Martha's magazine. 



Ingredients

2 1/2 cups shredded coconut
1/4 cup confectioner sugar
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and thinly sliced
1 tablespoon corn syrup
12 ounces bittersweet chocolate coarsely chopped

Directions

1. Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Using an electric mixer, combine the coconut, confectioners sugar, butter and corn syrup. On one of the prepared pans, divide the coconut mixture into 15 mounds and shape each into compact 2 inch long bars. Refrigerate until slightly firm, about 10 minutes. 

2. Meanwhile, in a double broiler melt three quarter of the chocolate stirring occasionally, until it reaches 110 degrees on a candy thermometer, about 3 minutes. Remove the insert and stir the remaining  chocolate until smooth and cooled to 90 degrees. 

3. Working with 1 at a time, place the coconut bars on a fork, dip into the chocolate and dunk to coat. Transfer to a rack set over wax paper. Let sit until he chocolate is firm, about 30 min. 

Try it and let me know what you think. These make a great gift for teachers and friends. 



1 comment: