Sunday, January 4, 2015

Prime Rib


I cooked my first Prime Rib this New Years day. I was terrified I was going to over cook or under cook it because I have heard stories of both. My mom and I went to Costco and saw these pre seasoned and were worried we wouldn't like them and that they would be over seasoned but it was a perfect combination of peppercorn and garlic all done for you. They sliced it off the bone but kept the bone attached with string and layed a massive amount of garlic inside. All I had to do was place it on a pan and follow the instructions. This is what I did and it turned out perfect. I will no longer be afraid. I hope you to try it. 

I will have to remember all of this for next year because it was worth all the stress and much easier than I every thought. The price was high but when I see that I feed 12 people and fed 8 the next day I think it wasn't that much after all. I hope my story inspires you to make one also. 

Ingredients

11 lb prime rib roast (which fed 12 adults and plenty left over for the next day)
3 carrots sliced
1 onion chopped to large pieces
3 celery stalks chopped into large pieces
1 package of au jus for pasting and gravy


Directions:

I had the roast sit out for at least an hour before cooking. 

Pre heat oven to 500 degrees. Cook Au jus according to package directions.

I bought it pre seasoned so if you didn't I would just season with your favorites. I placed roast in roasting pan on a rack with chopped up onion, carrots chopped, and celery chopped. 

I cooked it at 500 for 25 minutes then turned it down to 200 degrees. I basted it and cooked slowly for 3-4 hours until thermometer read 140 degrees. The directions said to cook for 20-30 minutes per pound. That gave those people who like it rare slices in the middle those who like it medium it was perfect for them on the end. I had a thermometer in at all times and made it very easy to watch without to much opening the oven. 

Once the temperature was just right I took it out and let it rest for 20-30 minutes. In the mean time I made a gravy with the drippings and added left over au jus that I basted with. It was perfection and I can't wait to make another one. I was also surprised that we had enough left over to make french dips for 8 people the next day. 


1 comment: